Genius Labs @ GMCC
We believe every young person
has the capacity for “genius.”
Genius Labs @GMCC Digital Café is an out-of-school studio learning experience that focuses on the development of digital technology skills through hands-on, challenge-based activities that foster creativity, independence, critical thinking, and self-awareness.
Our student-centered laboratory is designed by a collaborative team of experienced educators. The core beliefs driving the iterative design process are:
– Every young person has the capacity for genius
– All youth deserve access to high-quality educational methods and the latest technologies
– Health and well-being of the whole child (mental, physical, spiritual, intellectual) are critical to fostering healthy youth development
Fall 2021 Digital Café
Completed COVID-19 vaccination required
Digital learning +
Daily family meals + weekly take-home food boxes
All participants, staff, and family members who attend meals will be required to provide proof of FULL vaccination status.
– Prepared family meals will be provided each evening and all Genius Labs participants and family members who are fully vaccinated are invited to join.
– Weekly take-home food boxes will be provided for each participating youths’ family
– Youth and guardians will be required to sign a commitment agreement stating that youth are expected to commit to attending every scheduled session of their assigned cohort, except for circumstances of emergencies and illness.
-6th and 7th grade students: Oct. 4 – Dec. 14, Mondays and Tuesdays | 3:15-7:00pm:
-8th grade students: Oct. 6 – Dec. 16, Wednesdays and Thursdays | 3:15-7:00pm
*There will be no programming the week of November 22nd (Thanksgiving).
3:15pm Students start arriving @ Digital Café
3:15 – 4:00pm Independent study, homework help, group activities
4:00 – 5:00pm Curriculum
5:00 – 6:00pm Independent study, project time, homework help, group activities
6:00 – 7:00pm Food box distribution and family meals (all family members who are fully vaccinated are welcome to join our Geniuses for a prepared community meal)
Eligible youth must be 12-14 years old and in 6th, 7th, or 8th grade in the 2021-2022 school year. Admissions will be determined on a case-by-case basis with a focus on equity and prioritizing students who are excited about learning and motivated to gain new skills.
Questions? Contact Megan Young at 612-276-1548 or email@example.com
Please complete the application in full and submit online or to Megan Young electronically at firstname.lastname@example.org, by mail at 1100 E Lake St., Minneapolis, MN 55407, or call 612-276-1548 to schedule time to drop off at our office or to complete over the phone.